The Brighton Mermaid by Dorothy Koomson


THE BRIGHTON MERMAID
Dorothy Koomson 

Brighton Beach, 1993: Teenagers Nell and Jude find the body of a young woman and when no one comes to claim her, she becomes known as the Brighton Mermaid. Nell is still struggling to move on when, three weeks later, Jude disappears.

Twenty-five years on, Nell quits her job to find out who the Brighton Mermaid really was – and what happened to her best friend that summer.

But as Nell edges closer to the truth, dangerous things start to happen. Someone seems to be watching her every move, and soon she starts to wonder who in her life she can actually trust…

I am fan of Koomson's novels. I remember discovering her books one summer in the library and reading everything she had written over the course of a few weeks. She knows how to tell a good story, has an light and easy style of writing,  yet there's often a little twist or thought provoking event which adds a bit more depth and tension to her novels. I like her characters and I know her books will keep me happily entertained while I'm on holiday or looking for a guaranteed good read. 

 I was thrilled to read The Brighton Mermaid, Koomson's latest book which is a touch darker, a touch grittier and sits more in the thriller genre than commercial fiction.

Once again, despite the shift into something more psychological, I was not disappointed. Alternate narratives, dual timelines, interweaving threads of several stories which create a jigsaw of questions, suspicion, tension and suspense are expertly handled. Koomson understands pace, structure, timing and how to leave the reader unable to stop turning the pages as they try to see how the story will come together and try to second guess, unsuccessfully, what might be coming in the next chapter.

Again, her ability to create relatable characters who feel vivid and real is confidently done and it's easy to slip into this story from the opening paragraph. The premise for this story is clever, intriguing and a perfect hook. The lingering sense of threat and ominous atmosphere builds gradually as more and more information and back story is revealed to the reader. I enjoyed the first person narrative, I enjoyed the dynamics between the sisters and I enjoyed the fact that Koomson kept me gripped and on edge of my seat even though the pace is sometimes more measured and controlled. 

Koomson is an author who understands her craft, understands people and can be totally relied upon for a satisfying and engaging read. I recommend! 

The Brighton Mermaid is published by Random House in May 2018. 

My thanks to the publisher and EDPR for the advance copy of this novel. 





Comments

Popular Posts